Saturday, April 12, 2014

Stuff

While we sort through our stuff in a house we have lived in for 12 years I am so glad Hubs and I are pretty minimalist.  Not that we don't have a ton of things (some we need, some we don't), but we both like to keep it simple. 

After living aboard Airabess we realized that even we have too many things.  Things that we really don't need to have a full, amazing life. 

In an effort to get the heck out of here and get back to our boat we are trying to process all of our possessions.  There are a few items that are super sentimental and I am fortunate to have an amazing friend who is going to hold on to those items for me.  Everything else has got to go.  

If we don't use it it's outta here.  

As I've stated before here, this process is overwhelming.  Clothes, and furniture, and knick knacks, tools, and books... 

Even Coco is on this bandwagon.  And she is 7.  Most children are pack rats.  They want to keep everything.  EVERYTHING.  But, she has surprised me as of late.  The week we came home she, of her volition, went through her room and started a give-away pile, and a sell pile.  She still isn't too keen on tossing anything (and some of the things she wants to sell... well they aren't really sell-able), but she is motivated.  She is as ready as we are to get back to our boat.  She wants to go home.  

Home.  It has changed for this crew.  I love our beach cottage. Over the last 12 years, Hubs and I (mostly Hubs) have ripped out every wall, cabinet, and counter top... even the floors came up and were replaced.  It's ours, part of us.  I never thought I would so willingly let someone else take up residence.  That was before our Shakedown. 

That was before I realized home, for this family, isn't our house.  It's us and it always has been.  I/we just needed to remind our selves of that.  We are not completed by the things that we own, but the experiences we have.

The Shakedown

1 comment:

  1. You have figured out the secret to life and while young enough to really live it! I'm happy for you guys that you stuck in there and held out until things settled and you could see the dream you had been chasing for so long. It's amazing and your daughter is very lucky to have such cool parents! I wish we had started this dream when Brady was that young:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...