Saturday, February 1, 2014

Conservation

I've been learning a lot about amp draw lately. It's highly exciting stuff. 
When Hubs went home at the beginning of the month he charged all of our batteries and filled up our water tanks. All I had to do was maintain. 
But, a funny thing happened while he was gone. I started to actually pay attention to all of those things. 
Yes, I still let him haul the water (we aren't using our water maker because we are in a harbor). Now, though, I stay on top of the amp draw of our appliances, electronics, etc...  I constantly check our meters and adjust accordingly. 


We have a wind generator, which we have found IS the work horse. I prefer calm days, but I know if we are getting 10-20 mph winds we will have a charged bank. A charged bank is my best friend, for 
lots of reasons. But mostly because the Internet has a HUGE draw, and when it's windy I have free reign. 



We also have 2 solar panels. They help, but don't put in as much in as the wind. 
When both aren't able to keep up... We turn on the engine. It charges the bank too.  But, it also uses desiel (barely sips it, but still) and is loud.  

Not such a bad set up. We are going to invest in another battery I think, and a generator down the road. It's been a challenge keeping up with our demands. But, we are making it work. We are also discovering what are demands versus needs really are. 

Water is a whole other issue. We are definitely more conscious of what and how we use it. And I think when we become landlubbers again we will carry some of the habits with us. That's not to say I don't love my long, hot (did I say long) showers. But, you just don't get that out here. And it's not really that big of a deal really. 

I thought I was a good environmental citizen before.... Well watch out for me now. I've taken this whole conservation thing to another level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...