Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Crossing the Gulf Stream

Rolling mountains of water. In the dark. The longest 45 minutes ever, waiting on the moon rise. Followed by the longest 10 hours pushing our way through from peak to valley to peak again. 
At the time it felt like it would never end. 
I've read so many things about night passages. But nothing really prepares you for that first time out at sea with only the stars (and possibly moon) to guide you. 
Mellow drama aside... We did it. We crossed the Gulf Stream.  It was just as intimidating as we expected, but people have been doing it for ages. 

The plan was to anchor off Angel Creek for the night and shove off around 4 in the morning. Hubs decided to call an audible. The wind was light. The sea relatively calm. So we went for it. 

I think the abruptness of the call, coupled with strong coffee and anxiety made it even more uncomfortable. 

But we are here. Currently tied up in Bimini, but leaving in the morning to cross the banks. A long stretch for the next few days. Then... Then we will be able to take it one island at a time. 

Yesterday, after knocking out some school work,  Coco and I walked around North Bimini while Hubs worked on a few things aboard Airabess.  







P.S.  So far, I'm not one of those authors who enjoys night passages. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that I can't see at all to begin with. It's even more a problem under the cover of darkness. I may change my mind. You, and I will just have to wait and see. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...