Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mast Drama

It's really awesome doing boat work when your back is busted.  But slave away I did.  Because I wanted to, but also because I really needed to.  Stuff needed to get done.  The only way that was going to happen is if we did it... so commence to the never-ending bending and lifting that is rebuilding a boat. 
We sanded and painted, painted and sanded and got Airabess all nice and shiny... at least on the hulls.  The topside is coming, or so I'm told.





Honestly, it was really hard, but kind of empowering.  I did stuff and used tools that I never thought I wanted to.  Team work at it's finest.  Hubs was mostly patient with me and it felt good to help.

Then it was time to raise the mast.  I had every intention of just staying out of the way.  I really had hurt my back.  So, I was just there for moral support....

But... then it kind of got a little crazy, and he needed help.  Thanks again adrenaline for kicking in.

And this is what I walked into...
I know you're jealous.  This boat owning thing is awesome. 
Then, for icing on the cake.  I got to run back down the rusty ladder and grab the furling and hold it for, oh, almost forever.  Hubs ran around securing the rigging all the while telling me to hold tight, as I was what was holding the mast up.  I'm still not sure if this is true... I know so much about sailing and all, needless to say  I did exactly what he said.  I am pretty dexterous though and managed to take some pics with my phone.  And, yes, Hubs was all, "Put the the phone away."  That was until later when he was grateful I documented our idiocy.


And, holy shit!  We did it.  We really did it.  It was totally stressful and painful and trying.  But we did it~ in less than an hour.  Because, well, then we would have had to fork over another $300.  I mean it- teamwork at its finest.  
I could also tell you all about the jackass crane operator. But, it doesn't matter.  Because the mast was up and that's all that mattered. 

I will never forget the relief and satisfaction we both felt when it was done.  We had worked really hard, but it was really our first test of ability... and I think we passed.  Long time cruisers might not think so ... I really don't care.  Hubs and I did it.  Together.  And that is what this whole thing is about.  Us, together, making shit happen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...