Monday, December 3, 2012

Nice to meet you.

August was upon us, and Coco was starting pre-k.  As a side note, we are now a full on home schooling family.  At the time we were just planning on it.  We decided it would be good for her to attend VPK.  So we did.  But not without reservations.

Any one who knows me, understands that I am a lot crazy when it comes to my kid.  I am overprotective, but I also have super high standards.  I am a little freakish about what she is exposed to and by whom.  There are lots of reasons why.  But it doesn't really matter.  It is what it is. 

So, finding a school with like-minded philosophies was really important to us. 

We had the great luck, good fortune... whatever,  but the perfect place opened up a few miles from our house.

It was the first time I ever took Coco anywhere and just left her.  It was so weird.  She loved it.  She thrived there.  She learned, she grew, and she was becoming such a person.

Pre-school really has nothing to do with Airabess.  But it does.  Because our very (at the beginning of school) shy girl was opening up to herself and others.

It was how we came to know our first boat people.  Coco introduced us.  Which means she was sharing her excitement about our future in the way a 5-year-old knows how.  Talking incessantly about it to everyone. 

FYI- if you don't want anyone to know something... definitely don't tell a 5-year-old.

At pick-up one day,  my now very good friend, told me Coco had told her about our boat.  I wish I could have seen my face.  It wasn't a secret.  But I didn't really know many of the moms at the school, so I hadn't really exchanged any personal details. 

That was about to change.  Because the person that Coco shared with... had been a cruiser and her husband was building a new boat for their family.  Seriously?! 

Now I actually had someone to talk to.  A friend with kids, who knew the ins and outs, someone with real perspective.   Jackpot. 

And that was just the beginning of our kiddo leading the way...

Thanks Coco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...